Volunteer for Home-Start
By volunteering just a few hours each week you can transform the lives of young children and their parents in your community.
Thinking of volunteering
Volunteering with us can change lives – including your own.
When parents can’t cope, children suffer – the impact of which can last a lifetime. With a little support from a well-matched volunteer, mums and dads can become the parents they’ve always wanted to be, and families can thrive.
Home-Start Slough’s home-visiting and telephone be-friending volunteers come from many different backgrounds and vary in age, but they are usually parents themselves and bring with them personal experience, skills, and knowledge of the resources available within their local area.
They are committed and caring people who offer their time freely and are carefully selected for their friendliness and understanding. Our volunteers have good communication and listening skills, and know who to ask, or where to look, when they are asked a question they don’t know the answer to. They are friendly and approachable and can be relied on and trusted by parents to listen without being judgemental, and to respect the needs of each individual family.
- Undertake a (10 to 30 hour) course of preparation which fully prepares volunteers for their role.
- Receive lots of support both during the preparation course and after, when they are supporting Home-Start families from a designated co-ordinator.
- Can access additional training and social events throughout the year (subject to local COVID restrictions).
- Receive all out of pocket expenses incurred whilst volunteering for Home-Start.
- An enhanced DBS check is required, in addition to two references.
- Are part of a fantastic resource, which is valued and appreciated.
Do you have what it takes to be a Home-Start volunteer? Are you keen to help parents and children in your community? Please download an application form to start your journey transforming lives in your area.
Home-Start Slough volunteer
We cannot do what we do without the help and support we receive from our volunteers.
There are 168 hours in a week, can you spare 1-2 hours a week?
There are several ways that you can help Home-Start Slough in a voluntary capacity:
- by supporting a family as a home-visiting or telephone be-friending volunteer
- by joining the Trustee Board
- by helping with fundraising
If you would like more information, please contact us. email@example.com or telephone 01753 572958